www.YodasNews.com Forum Index www.YodasNews.com
All Star Wars chat, all the time! Toys, Movies and more!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Would YOU Do It?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.YodasNews.com Forum Index -> The Clone Wars - All Lines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: How Would YOU Do It? Reply with quote

Let's say Hasbro asked you to choose the 2012 line-up for The Clone Wars. Keeping business needs in mind, what would you pick? Remember, you gotta appeal to kids, parents, shareholders and collectors! Here are my choices:

Basic Figures

1. Obi-Wan Kenobi (new sculpt)
2. Anakin Skywalker (new sculpt)
3. Phase 2 Commander Cody (new sculpt)
4. Ahsoka Tano (2011 repack)
5. Phase 2 Clone Trooper (new sculpt)
6. Armored Savage Opress (repack)
7. Cad Bane with Todo 360 (repack)
8. Count Dooku (repack)
9. Battle Droid (repack)
10. Training Super Battle Droid (repaint)
11. Phase 2 Captain Rex (2011 repack/retool)
12. Mace Windu (repack)
13. Yoda (repack)
14. Cyborg Darth Maul (new sculpt)
15. Scuba Ahsoka Tano (new sculpt)
16. Phase 2 Commander Fox (repaint of Phase 2 Commander Cody)
17. Chewbacca (repack)
18. Asajj Ventress (new sculpt)
19. Commander Wolffe (repaint/retool of Phase 2 Commander Cody)

Mini-Rigs

1. Scuba Clone Trooper with Submarine
2. Clone Drop Ship with Clone Pilot
3. Recon Attack Fighter with Anakin Skywalker
4. Umbaran Artillery Cannon with Umbaran Warrior

Battle Packs

1. Republic Clone Troopers with Cutup, Hardcase and Bomb Squad Trooper
2. Betrayal on Umbara with General Krell, Phase 2 Captain Rex and Dogma
aceface
Beware aceface

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: How Would YOU Do It? Reply with quote

Don't get me started!
KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How Would YOU Do It? Reply with quote

aceface wrote:
Don't get me started!

Well, that's the whole point. What if I give you +10 devious points?
aceface
Beware aceface

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How Would YOU Do It? Reply with quote

Very well. If I were King of Hasbro, the first thing I'd do would be to kill the Clone Wars line. Bang. Dead. Done!
KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: How Would YOU Do It? Reply with quote

aceface wrote:
Very well.

+10 devious points granted.

aceface wrote:
If I were King of Hasbro, the first thing I'd do would be to kill the Clone Wars line. Bang. Dead. Done!

Shocked

+10 devious points revoked, and an additional 5 devious points confiscated from you!
aceface
Beware aceface

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How Would YOU Do It? Reply with quote

Then, drunk on my own power, I'd turn on the movie heros line. The first to go would be the forthcoming figures with light-up lightsabers. I'd cancel them immediately. Then I'd probably cancel the entire line. Don't need 'em. Don't want 'em. Won't have 'em!
DarkusLord
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like kitfistos line alot better than aceface's. all I get from aceface is to totally cancel every line currently out Shocked nonononono
Caped Crusader
Elite Jedi Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: How Would YOU Do It? Reply with quote

aceface wrote:
Then, drunk on my own power, I'd turn on the movie heros line. The first to go would be the forthcoming figures with light-up lightsabers. I'd cancel them immediately. Then I'd probably cancel the entire line. Don't need 'em. Don't want 'em. Won't have 'em!
Laughing

KitFisto wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi (new sculpt)
Anakin Skywalker (new sculpt)
Neither of these seem like a good use of resources. I doubt many kids will look at these figures and decide they need a new version, and last year's Anakin and Obi-Wan are still new to any kids who didn't get the 2011 figures. As a collector, the 2011 releases were both superior, so I'm not interested.

KitFisto wrote:
Ahsoka Tano (2011 repack)
A no-brainer. Considering how few of these made it to stores, Hasbro is taking a loss on the investment if she doesn't make it back to retail.

KitFisto wrote:
Cad Bane with Todo 360 (repack)
I bought two of these in 2011 packaging a few weeks ago for $1.50 each to set aside for Toys For Tots. While I plucked those from the clearance aisle, the older figure was hanging in the action figure aisle for $8 in 2012 packaging. Such an odd choice.

KitFisto wrote:
Count Dooku (repack)
Mace Windu (repack)
Instead of seeing Walmart and Target clearance these out for pennies, I'd have had my reps collect the leftovers (along with anything else from the last few waves) and repackaged them on single cards or in battle packs later in the year. Cold weather Plo Koon was on clearance for $3 in one aisle, and in different packaging for $8 in another. I understand the rebranding, and I realize it's often easier to clearance something than gather it up and repurpose it. They cannibalized their own sales, however, by allowing the new-ish figures to be available for so cheap when they were shipping out the same products in new packaging.

KitFisto wrote:
Asajj Ventress (new sculpt)
Not sure how the team could justify another version of a female antagonist who's already been tooled once to the suits. And yes, despite the last episode of the season, she still has to be considered an antagonist. If I was going to budget out tooling for another character, it would have been for Ackbar. He's a protagonist who appeared in several episodes, he was in the thick of the action, and he appeals to both kids and adult fans of the OT.
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: How Would YOU Do It? Reply with quote

Caped Crusader wrote:
Neither of these seem like a good use of resources. I doubt many kids will look at these figures and decide they need a new version, and last year's Anakin and Obi-Wan are still new to any kids who didn't get the 2011 figures. As a collector, the 2011 releases were both superior, so I'm not interested.

Like you, I prefer the 2011 Anakin Skywalker; and I would have been satisfied seeing it repackaged on the 2012 card. But from the pictures I have seen thus far, I prefer the 2012 Obi-Wan Kenobi in terms of aesthetics. I'm not pissing too much over the lack of wrist articulation - at this point, at least. But to your point, I would take no issue with seeing both 2011 versions repackaged on 2012 cards. I merely posited those options as new sculpts since that is what Hasbro actually did.

Caped Crusader wrote:
Not sure how the team could justify another version of a female antagonist who's already been tooled...

Mere fanboy fancy, on my part. Wink

And when I looked over my list, a resculpt of Ventress easily stood out as the longshot. A more practical choice may be something like a repack of General Grievous.

Caped Crusader wrote:
If I was going to budget out tooling for another character, it would have been for Ackbar. He's a protagonist who appeared in several episodes, he was in the thick of the action, and he appeals to both kids and adult fans of the OT.

Although this option doesn't get me overly excited, I would definitely prefer to see a figure like Ackbar than a real snoozer like Commando Boss.
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: How Would YOU Do It? Reply with quote

KitFisto wrote:
Mere fanboy fancy, on my part. Wink
I know. I was looking at it purely from a business standpoint, which is why I would have simply repackaged the 2011 Anakin and Obi-Wan figures and invested the tooling budget on a male protagonist like Ackbar, a character who would appeal to multiple segments of the market.
Beware aceface

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How Would YOU Do It? Reply with quote

DarkusLord wrote:
I like kitfistos line alot better than aceface's. all I get from aceface is to totally cancel every line currently out Shocked nonononono

You missunderstand me...

Caped Crusader wrote:
Laughing

...but CC doesn't! I never said I'd cancel the vintage line. The thing that irritates me most about Hasbro (asside from extremely POOR distribution) is that they produce too much stuff, that (again) is difficult to find. Once found the challenge then becomes 1) is this new? 2) repacked? and/or 3) repainted?

I'd thin the lines, combine them into a single line (VINTAGE), and then (again, DRUNK ON MY OWN POWER) cancel ALL exclusives except for mail-a-ways.

In my view, Hasbro lacks the focus of, say, LEGO.
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: How Would YOU Do It? Reply with quote

aceface wrote:
The thing that irritates me most about Hasbro (asside from extremely POOR distribution)...
Distribution isn't Hasbro's job; that's up to the retailers. There is no Hasbro truck that delivers toys across the country.

aceface wrote:
...is that they produce too much stuff, that (again) is difficult to find.
It's only "too much" if it's not selling (see Pirates of the Caribbean and Prince of Persia movie lines). No one has to buy it all. The "difficult to find" part largely depends on where you live, which (again) falls on retailers. If there are only one or two stores in your region, that's going to make it more difficult to keep up, but that isn't Hasbro's responsibility. All they can do is make the toys, sell the retail buyers on them, and deliver them to the chains. Retailers have their own distribution networks; it's on them to get product to shelves/pegs.

And honestly, action figures from Hasbro's lines are much easier to find than Mattel's toys. I have never gone to a store to specifically look for a Marvel Universe figure, but I've seen every character at retail at least once, including most variants. Aside from season 3 Ahsoka, I've seen every TCW figure at retail since I started collecting them. They don't always linger, but I've seen everything from TVC, too. I've certainly never gone to a store just to look for those, as I don't even collect them.

People who only collect STAR WARS have it so much easier than those who collect lines with a smaller retail presence like G.I. JOE or DC Universe Classics. You want something that's difficult to find? Try keeping up with the latest Monster High releases. STAR WARS collectors are pretty spoiled when it comes to availability at retail. Personally, I don't enjoy wasting my time in a Walmart or Target store, and I definitely don't like driving all out of the city for a trip to Toys Я Us. That's why I do so much shopping with BBTS. What I save in time and gas more than makes up for what I spend on slightly higher prices and shipping, especially with their Pile of Loot option.

aceface wrote:
Once found the challenge then becomes 1) is this new? 2) repacked? and/or 3) repainted?
Buy what you like; leave the rest. When in doubt, buy it. Return it later if you realize it's something you already have. #winningformula

aceface wrote:
In my view, Hasbro lacks the focus of, say, LEGO.
And LEGO lacks the fun and coolness of Hasbro. So instead of the sculpted detail of a Hasbro vehicle that's already (at least mostly) assembled and the accuracy of a Hasbro figure, I get a spaceship made of blocks and a stupid-looking yellow guy that looks exactly like all the other stupid-looking yellow guys for $65. Great.
Beware aceface

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How Would YOU Do It? Reply with quote

Caped Crusader wrote:
Distribution isn't Hasbro's job; that's up to the retailers.

I don't completely buy that. EVERY store I've been in (locally and not) has had problems over the last year.

aceface wrote:
...is that they produce too much stuff, that (again) is difficult to find.
It's only "too much" if it's not selling (see Pirates of the Caribbean and Prince of Persia movie lines).[/quote]
Or see Vintage wave 1 - remants of which still hang from the pegs at my local Target.

Quote:
And LEGO lacks the fun and coolness of Hasbro.

You have that backwards.

Quote:
...a stupid-looking yellow guy that looks exactly like all the other stupid-looking yellow guys for $65.

They stopped producing the yellow heads a few years ago.
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How Would YOU Do It? Reply with quote

aceface wrote:
I don't completely buy that. EVERY store I've been in (locally and not) has had problems over the last year.
Anecdotal experience doesn't change the way things work being the way things work. Retailer orders a certain quantity, manufacturer produces and delivers that quantity, and the retailer distributes the items to their various locations. Hasbro has zero control over what's in the specific stores you visit. With that one STAR WARS exception of Ahsoka (there's also one 2011 G.I. JOE figure I've never seen in stores), I saw every 2011 (and 2012 so far) release in stores, much of it after I'd already bought it online. We tend to get stuff much later around here than most of the rest of the country, but it's eventually easy to find. That doesn't mean it will be hanging around for months (when it's that easy to find, people complain about "pegwarmers" ), but I tend to hit a Big Box store or two each weekend. I rarely go to Walmart or Target during the week these days, and it's even more rare that I make a specific trip just to look for action figures. I still see them all in stores. KitFisto seems to find everything he wants in stores.

aceface wrote:
Or see Vintage wave 1 - remants of which still hang from the pegs at my local Target.
See above. Target ordered too much of it. Hasbro would be wise to have their reps collect all of that to make room for new product, but Target is to blame for the initial overshipping.

aceface wrote:
You have that backwards.
I fear I do not, sir.

aceface wrote:
They stopped producing the yellow heads a few years ago.
Ah, but they didn't stop making them stupid-looking. Twisted Evil
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: How Would YOU Do It? Reply with quote

Caped Crusader wrote:
KitFisto seems to find everything he wants in stores.

This is true. With patience and vigilance, I find everything that I want at retail. But I have to stress the patience and vigilance part. I visit Walmart or Target or TRU on an almost daily basis. But I do not go out of my way to visit them, because I am able to stop at them on my way to and from work. And if I need groceries, or supplies, on the weekend, I will choose to go to one of those stores instead of a standard grocery store. That way, I can check for toys while still satisfying my primary reason for going out in the first place. This insures that I find everything that I want at retail; and I never buy from a place like BBTS or EE.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.YodasNews.com Forum Index -> The Clone Wars - All Lines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: