www.YodasNews.com Forum Index www.YodasNews.com
All Star Wars chat, all the time! Toys, Movies and more!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multi-Troop Transport (MTT)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.YodasNews.com Forum Index -> The Vintage Collection 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Multi-Troop Transport (MTT) Reply with quote

It looks as though this one is coming in 2012:

illithid
Padawan
Padawan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, what with those, the new lego star wars sets and lego LOTR (sorry) I need to get a job in a toy shop or as a banker!
KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

illithid wrote:
I need to get a job in a toy shop or as a banker!

I can try to get you on at my bank. Wink
aceface
Beware aceface

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

illithid wrote:
...and lego LOTR (sorry)...

No need to be sorry for that. I think many of us follow multiple lines/franchises. I, for one, went on a LEGO Pirates Of The Carribean binge starting this past Thanksgiving. So, I can definitely sympathize with you financially.
KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Galactic Hunter's Q&A:

5. In Monday's Q&A, I read your comment " the big awesome toy for Q4 is not remotely awesome" with interest.

Personally, I like the scale of my Japanese Pepsi MTT better than the Hasbro version, but it's obviously lacking any of the electronics or features that we'll see in the Rhode Island product.

I think the mechanical features and sounds effects on the new MTT are cool and I know I'll be buying one, but I worry that it's not going to have the kind of kid appeal required to make it a success. If the kids do ignore it, I'm worried it won't bode well for the big vehicle program, particularly when the Star Wars offerings are being pared back so dramatically already.

What are your thoughts? Why are you not a fan of it? Will it appeal to kids? Collectors? Both? Neither? If it flops, what degree of jeopardy would the big vehicle program be in?
--Mike

This item smells like a failure. That's no knock against the hard-working engineers, designers, and creative folks who will make this item so I can own one and treasure it in my walk-in toy box I call a home. I'm going to get it, and it's going to be neat to play around with-- but this is not a toy for kids. Kids aren't going to ask for this and it's a safe bet that Phantom Menace stuff will be phased out of the marketplace before it even hits.

It's going to be really expensive. In this economy that may not mean much-- all toys are pretty expensive-- and the value is there. (1 MTT = about 12-15 figures at retail.) It's a big ship from a movie which didn't make a very big splash at the box office this year, and is not featured heavily in The Clone Wars. Unless I'm dumb, and I fully admit I am stupid, there's no significant Q3 or Q4 marketing push behind Battle Droids to make this one sing. The Republic Attack Shuttle was a super-cool toy, but fizzled. The MTT is more expensive, has less heroic characterization, has no core character involvement, and is coming out a whopping 7 months after the big marketing push for the movie is over.

I could be wrong, and maybe Hasbro is going to play it safe and make this one hard-to-get. I believe it exists for very much the same reasons we got some Big Giant Toys in the 1980s, simply as a way for Hasbro to say "Star Wars is still huge, see what we're doing to support it? This is an amazing flagship toy, now support the rest of our Phantom Menace stuff dadgummit!" I see it less of a toy than as a political gesture, and in this environment it seems peculiar. Is the MTT seen a wise movie, but a new Boba Fett in a cool new suit is just not going to make the cut this year? It's just like how the Vintage vehicle line sucks-- it's 3 vehicles that already exist and didn't have much (any?) real pent-up demand. The MTT is probably going to trip up as it hits retail shelves. And if I'm dead wrong and we have some sort of evidence that Hasbro made this in the same or greater quantities as the Republic Shuttle AND it's a big success, I personally am inviting all of you to remind me and rub my nose in it next January. The only way I learn is when people beat me over the head with my many failures, most of which are buried under the rug.
KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the MTT at Walmart this morning. It certainly was fun to see new stuff; but I don't collect vehicles, so I passed on this one. But even if I did collect vehicles, the $129.96 price tag would have scared me away for sure!
ridge913
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KitFisto wrote:
I saw the MTT at Walmart this morning. It certainly was fun to see new stuff; but I don't collect vehicles, so I passed on this one. But even if I did collect vehicles, the $129.96 price tag would have scared me away for sure!

I am passing on the MTT 100% and I love vehicles. I am more excited for the Naboo Fighter and TVC Pilot combo! I can not believe how excited I am for this Naboo fighter! There is one coming out soon right? Or was that one of those dreams haha Its expected release was Februrary!! Did I already miss this?!? "Nooooooooooo" If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated
DarkusLord
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, deep breaths ridge... deep breaths..

So what naboo starfighter? this is news to me
KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkusLord wrote:

This:

ridge913
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KitFisto wrote:
DarkusLord wrote:

This:

Yes! Whats the scoop!?!
RPhBob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple snippets from Galactic Hunter Q&As with Adam Pawlus from June 17th and June 24th regarding the Naboo Fighter.

6/17/12
Quote:
4. Do you know, either through information you get in your day job or anything you might have picked up through working in the hobby, when Hasbro is planning to release the Naboo Starfighter in the United States? My guess would be as soon as the pilots sell out at all the Wal Marts.
--Matt

They started shipping overseas as early as a couple of months ago, and it appears they're shipping to US-based retailers this week-- mine just arrived on Saturday. But this might not do you any good-- the casepack is now 3 (instead of 4 for wave 1, which is odd) plus several retailers have already put this SKU out to pasture, meaning it might not be restocked. (From our perspective, it may not be stocked at all at some stores-- or there might be a geyser of them waiting to burst.) Keep your eyes open and if push comes to shove, and you order a case online from our sponsor or form our other sponsors or other valued sponsors still, 2 of the 3 vehicles are new enough to be interesting and the third is excellent if you don't already have one.

But here's the really interesting thing. I just got a case of these, and I was stunned to see it had the "Don't put on shelf before the week of January 30" markings on it, just like the other stuff that came out in January. This inspired me to check the date stamps, which indicated the wave 2 ships were manufactured/packaged around Decmber 29, 2011. I checked the wave 1 vehicles and they were mostly made in November 2011. So what does this mean? Hasbro sat on these for a few months. Many recent toys are about 2-3 months old before they first show up in US stores.

6/24/12
Quote:
1. What ever happened to the new Naboo Fighter? Was is cancelled? Did I miss it?
--EJ

As the video earlier in the week showed, it did indeed get made but distribution may be... standard Hasbro fare. Numerous Walmart stores phased out this size of vehicle, and a lot of shops are backed up with wave 1 still. (According to the date stamps, waves 1 and 2 were both produced late last year and it seems Hasbro may have sat on them.)

Did you miss it? Possibly. I know of 0 US-based big-box store reports, so right now your options are to go online and buy, or wait. It's possible Canada will get a bunch, or they'll get dumped at TJ Maxx or the closeout store of your choosing, but we won't know until the dumping begins. Based on the many wonderful Hasbro products I've seen at these stores, I'd suggest this course of action: if you can get it for under $40* delivered (or if you want the case at a fair price) go for it. It also wouldn't stun me if Hasbro brought it back out again, but then again, it does stun me that they kicked off the Vintage Vehicles with 3 old molds and one of them wasn't the highly sought-after Mandalorian Transport.

and finally
KitFisto wrote:
I saw the MTT at Walmart this morning [...] But even if I did collect vehicles, the $129.96 price tag would have scared me away for sure!

I saw it too and I expect to keep seeing it for a LONG time. I collect vehicles and will not be buying this unless I can find it on clearance for $50 at some point. And now HasbroToyShop has it for $150
DarkusLord
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh that naboo starfighter. sorry, my I just couldn't picture it for some reason.
ridge913
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkusLord wrote:
oh that naboo starfighter. sorry, my I just couldn't picture it for some reason.

lol don't apologize! I honestly had to look up the correct name, as I originally called it simply the, "naboo fighter" vs starfighter... I hope I come across one of these. If anyone sees one, do not hesitate... I will take care of you for picking one on my behalf Smile
KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody bought one of the MTT vehicles from my local Walmart! Well, at least, I assume someone did. Last week there were two; now there is one. I can only assume that someone dropped $130 (plus applicable sales tax) to get that big sucker. I am Jack's embodiment of amazement! Of course, I expected some collectors to get it; but to see it actually happen is a thing of wonder.
ridge913
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KitFisto wrote:
Somebody bought one of the MTT vehicles from my local Walmart! Well, at least, I assume someone did. Last week there were two; now there is one. I can only assume that someone dropped $130 (plus applicable sales tax) to get that big sucker. I am Jack's embodiment of amazement! Of course, I expected some collectors to get it; but to see it actually happen is a thing of wonder.

I would have the same response. There are not many collectors around, at least that I know of in my area, and especially that like to drop that kind of coin! When you take in account that I picked up that Ninja Turtles Sewer Lair, that is heck more of a play set than the MTT, for even less $ than the MTT. It seriously gets you scratching your head. I think $80 is a solid price point for the MTT, but that is just my opinion. I literally went out and bought a throw rug to house this sewer on, and if Hasbro on behalf of Star Wars would produce something "of that magnitude," it certainly would be awesome. Imagine Jabba's Palace in a similar layout as this sewer, or even the Death Star! The rancor pen could be housed in the bottom portion with Jabba's palace main floor room above with a trap door and everything... I tend to rant when I get excited Smile I just think it would be so cool!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.YodasNews.com Forum Index -> The Vintage Collection 2010 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: