www.YodasNews.com Forum Index www.YodasNews.com
All Star Wars chat, all the time! Toys, Movies and more!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Derryl DePriest interview

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.YodasNews.com Forum Index -> The Clone Wars - All Lines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caped Crusader
Elite Jedi Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Derryl DePriest interview Reply with quote

There's a fantastic interview with Derryl DePriest (and his puppy occasionally) in the latest edition of the Curto Burns Collectors Cast. Derryl provides lots of information on what's coming beyond 2012 for The Clone Wars and the Legacy / Droid Factory line. Visit the site to check it out, or download it directly here.
Beware aceface

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Derryl DePriest interview Reply with quote

There is also an interesting 2-part Q&A that jeditemplearchives did. Read it at the following links: part 1 | part 2

A sample:

Quote:
Q: What is the fate of the Battle Packs line going into 2013. Is it still a viable option for mainline retailers, will it be relegated to store exclusives only or will we see it as a concept disappear all together?

A: Aside from some store exclusives, the Battle Packs line is dead.

aceface wins!
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Derryl DePriest interview Reply with quote

aceface wrote:
There is also an interesting 2-part Q&A that jeditemplearchives did. Read it at the following links: part 1 | part 2
Two scoops of pathetic whining and absurd rumormongering in every bite! Laughing
Beware aceface

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Derryl DePriest interview Reply with quote

Caped Crusader wrote:
Two scoops of pathetic whining and absurd rumormongering in every bite! Laughing

You play nice.
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Derryl DePriest interview Reply with quote

aceface wrote:
You play nice.
Don't gotta. Razz

Failing to filter out rubbish ("Can you ask hasbro to reduce prices on all their items next year?" "How about 'Ending the Vintage Collection? ARE YOU INSANE? IT IS THE ONLY LINE THAT SELLS." "Please limit new figures in a wave to 6 with two of each in the case.") when granted time with Hasbro's STAR WARS team, "reporting" utter nonsense as fact, and injecting whiny fanboyisms into their "coverage" means that site has zero credibility. And that's without even going into the way they swipe stories from other sites without citing sources and giving proper credit.
Beware aceface

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Derryl DePriest interview Reply with quote

Caped Crusader wrote:
Failing to filter out rubbish ("Can you ask hasbro to reduce prices on all their items next year?" "How about 'Ending the Vintage Collection? ARE YOU INSANE? IT IS THE ONLY LINE THAT SELLS." "Please limit new figures in a wave to 6 with two of each in the case.") when granted time with Hasbro's STAR WARS team...

Those may be "rubbish" questions to you, but I would bet there are many collectors out there who would ask the same things. I'm not one of them, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if most collectors believe that the Vintage line is the best selling of the three lines and that ending it is "insane." It doesn't mean they're right, only that they are uninformed or ignorant of the realities. I also don't think those questions were necessarily generated by the staff of JTA. They way they were presented led me to believe they were submitted by readers. Some were obviously more abrupt than others, but I actually kind of welcomed that. I watched a video over at sandtroopers.com in which one of their guys was doing a Q&A with the Hasbro guys at their booth. It was a little too kiss-assery for my tastes. That said, if it had been me on the JTA staff and I was asking/presenting the questions, I probably would have toned down some of the more rude ones (i.e. "ARE YOU INSANE?"). For all my past criticisms of Hasbro, I thought they handled those fairly well (even if I didn't always agree with their answers).
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Derryl DePriest interview Reply with quote

aceface wrote:
Those may be "rubbish" questions to you, but I would bet there are many collectors out there who would ask the same things. I'm not one of them, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if most collectors believe that the Vintage line is the best selling of the three lines and that ending it is "insane." It doesn't mean they're right, only that they are uninformed or ignorant of the realities.
This stuff isn't new information. Nothing more than an internet connection would be required to figure that out for themselves. Anyone active enough in the hobby to visit collecting sites frequently and submit questions doesn't deserve to have that ignorance coddled, especially at the expense of using the limited time and opportunity to ask questions which will yield helpful or informative responses.

aceface wrote:
I also don't think those questions were necessarily generated by the staff of JTA. They way they were presented led me to believe they were submitted by readers.
Of course. That's why I mentioned failing to filter out rubbish instead of thinking up rubbish.

aceface wrote:
Some were obviously more abrupt than others, but I actually kind of welcomed that. I watched a video over at sandtroopers.com in which one of their guys was doing a Q&A with the Hasbro guys at their booth. It was a little too kiss-assery for my tastes.
These aren't legitimate news outlets writing hard–hitting exposés and asking tough questions of elected officials. They're fan sites covering little plastic men. Access to Hasbro staff is a privilege, not a right. They should be friendly and nice with the teams who design and market the stuff we collect. Those aren't toy company suits; they're artists and brand managers who are more often than not fans themselves. No one wants more new toys released than the guys who slave to create it. Beyond that, they're people doing their jobs. Does it makes sense to walk into McDonalds and be nasty to the cashier because they stopped selling the McRib? What does it accomplish to take some jackass' question and present it to Hasbro staff in the same jackass manner in which it was asked? Nothing.

I like what the guys on the What's on JOE Mind podcast like to say about having a chance to speak with employees of manufacturers, comic publishers, fan clubs, etc.: DBAD. It stands for don't be a dick. People who run or contribute to fan sites shouldn't have to be reminded of that.

HERP DERP CAN U ASK HASBRO 2 REDUCE PRICES ON ALL THE TOYZ NEXT YEAR? DERP DERP DERP

Wasting their time like that is disrespectful.

aceface wrote:
That said, if it had been me on the JTA staff and I was asking/presenting the questions, I probably would have toned down some of the more rude ones (i.e. "ARE YOU INSANE?").
Ya think? Laughing

And hey, don't forget "reporting" utter nonsense as fact and injecting whiny fanboyisms into their "coverage." Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dumbass wrote:
The Clone Wars has been changed to the Saturday at 9:30 AM death slot this season. In fact, per our friends at SWActionNews.com, Arnie told us that Season 5 is being written in story arcs so that the show can be closed without any cliff hangers out of fear that there may be a mid season cancellation.
In response to a comment about a sixth season, the same dumbass wrote:
I don't think so, unless there's a rush to watch this show at 9:30 AM Saturday morning. That is the death slot for a kids' show.
A fan quite correctly wrote:
Only when Lucas says the show is ending, the show will end.
The dumbass, once again demonstrating his utter lack of knowledge, wrote:
Wrong. Only when Cartoon Network says the show is cancelled will it end.
And again on September 27, the dumbass wrote:
It will be interesting to see how well the show fares as it enters the 9:30 AM "death slot".
You don't have to be an industry insider or have any profound knowledge of programming, animation, or anything about television to look at Cartoon Network's schedule and recognize this notion for the joke that it is. In fact, someone find an instance of "9:30 AM death slot" on the internet that isn't part of or quoting that P.O.S. site. The term "Friday night death slot" is actually used; compare search results for the two phrases. Even a less specific "Saturday morning death slot" search only yields a few fans of Pokémon and other anime series griping over some rescheduling. Why? Because there's no such thing. Even if you go more industry-speak and search for "Saturday morning graveyard slot," it's not there.

And the only control Cartoon Network has over The Clone Wars is when/if it airs on their network. Lucasfilm is responsible for the production cost, only a portion of which is recovered by the price CN pays for the rights to air episodes. Cartoon Network can no more "cancel" the series than Fox can put a stop to more theatrical releases. They have no ownership over the show. If CN decided not to bring the show back for a sixth season (a move they couldn't even make without approval from WB suits, as the conglomerate has DVD/Blu-ray distribution rights and a bigger financial stake in its continuation than CN's ratings), Lucas could very easily sell it to The Hub (existing relationship with Hasbro), Disney XD (existing relationship with Disney), or even Netflix if he wanted.

Caped Crusader wrote:
And hey, don't forget "reporting" utter nonsense as fact and injecting whiny fanboyisms into their "coverage." Wink
VO performers were recording for next season of The Clone Wars Thursday, October 4. They were back in the studio recording more for next season yesterday. I know no one else will remember it, but when a sixth season is officially announced, I'll post reminders. These clowns are not reliable sources of information.

Relevant discussion from another thread:

KitFisto wrote:
And here is a question that has got me scratching my head (emphasis mine):

Star Wars - The Clone Wars line, will it ever be picked up again?

Hasbro and JTA didn't really understand this question. The Clone Wars line will continue to see a decrease. They'd like to move the line completely into realistic style eventually once The Clone Wars TV show ends (which is inevitable at this point). The Clone Wars has been changed to the Saturday at 9:30 AM death slot this season. In fact, per our friends at SWActionNews.com, Arnie told us that Season 5 is being written in story arcs so that the show can be closed without any cliff hangers out of fear that there may be a mid season cancellation. It goes without saying that the toy line will be affected by this.

Shocked

There is anticipation of the season being cancelled mid-season due to low ratings? I thought ratings were satisfactory? Granted, they are not as high as they were in the early seasons, but I can only image that such a thing is typical for a show entering its fifth season. This one confuses me.
Caped Crusader wrote:
KitFisto wrote:
There is anticipation of the season being cancelled mid-season due to low ratings? I thought ratings were satisfactory? Granted, they are not as high as they were in the early seasons, but I can only image that such a thing is typical for a show entering its fifth season. This one confuses me.
None of those idiots have any clue what they're talking about. Pay no attention to that nonsense. Cartoon Network has shifted its entire roster of boys' action cartoons from Friday evenings to Saturday mornings (Young Justice and Green Lantern: The Animated Series). The Clone Wars is just the last series to make the move, and it has their new Ben 10 show, Ben 10: Omniverse, leading into it.
KitFisto wrote:
Caped Crusader wrote:
None of those idiots have any clue what they're talking about. Pay no attention to that nonsense.

That's part of the reason why I paste these Q&As here, since I am curious to get your input on the issues. You typically are much better informed on these matters than I am. And this discussion about the impending cancellation of the show was perplexing to me, since the show still receives decent ratings, usually between 1.5 and 2 million viewers per episode in the United States. Why cancel a show that is a solid performer for your station? Why do some fan sites (e.g., Galactic Hunter and Jedi Temple Archives) keep talking about a decline in ratings and, consequently, the impending cancellation of the show? Maybe it's because Hasbro has made mention of this in the past? If I remember correctly, Hasbro has attributed, in part, their recent "conservative" approach to The Clone Wars line to a decline in ratings. In fact, in the Curto/Burns podcast that you and aceface recently recommended, DePriest stated that one of the contributing factors as to why Hasbro is not re-releasing CW44 Ahsoka is because she is just not showing up in the series like she used to.
Caped Crusader wrote:
KitFisto wrote:
And this discussion about the impending cancellation of the show was perplexing to me, since the show still receives decent ratings, usually between 1.5 and 2 million viewers per episode in the United States. Why cancel a show that is a solid performer for your station? Why do some fan sites (e.g., Galactic Hunter and Jedi Temple Archives) keep talking about a decline in ratings and, consequently, the impending cancellation of the show?
There is no "Saturday morning 9:30 AM death slot." That clown just keeps regurgitating some ridiculous claptrap he heard someone else say, possibly because that's where ThunderCats was moved last year (network still hasn't announced a decision on that series, but its chances of a second season look grim at this point). Cartoon Network has made a very deliberate, calculated shift with its action block, moving that programming from Friday nights to Saturday mornings. It began last year, and they're completing it this fall by launching Ben 10: Omniverse (network's flagship action franchise) Saturdays at 9:00 AM and moving The Clone Wars to 9:30. Cartoon Network didn't commit to another twenty-two episodes just to drop it halfway through that order. We will be talking about the season 5 finale in May, and I'll wager a hefty sum of money on that if any doubters will take the bet.

Beware aceface

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caped Crusader wrote:
RANT STEW SIMMER SEETHE

Wow! That was quite an outburst. Seemingly random. Seemingly unprovoked. Though, knowing what I know of you, it was probably neither

Perhaps you should stop reading jeditemplenews?

Wink
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceface wrote:
Perhaps you should stop reading jeditemplenews?
I glance at The National Enquirer in checkout lines and listen to Sean Hannity from time to time, too.
Beware aceface

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Sean Hannity?
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caped Crusader wrote:
Disney XD (existing relationship with Disney)
'Star Wars: The Clone Wars' Likely to Leave Cartoon Network After This Season

Quote:
Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Turner, a division of Time Warner, has the license for Star Wars: The Clone Wars only through the end of the 2012-13 season. Each year it has renewed its deal with Lucasfilm, and reps for both companies say they will make a decision on continuing the show around the end of the season.

In reality, Disney is very likely to move Clone Wars to one of its own networks, most likely Disney XD, an advertiser-supported cable TV channel targeted at boys.
This was a legitimate possibility before, but I assumed it was an inevitability once the acquisition of Lucasfilm was announced. Marvel was producing animation for NickToons prior to being purchased by Disney, but that was quickly ended. This makes perfect sense, and the only reason I could see for the series to remain on Cartoon Network is if they agree to pay considerably more than the airing of new episodes is worth.

Quote:
Clone Wars has been one of the highest-rated shows on Cartoon Network, even with a move to Saturday mornings this season. For the month of October, The Clone Wars ranked No. 1 in its time period among boys 9-14 and posted double-digit gains across kids and boys vs. last year -- kids 2-11 grew by 46 percent, kids 6-11 by 34 percent, kids 9-14 by 64 percent, boys 2-11 by 45 percent, boys 6-11 by 36 percent and boys 9-14 by 72 percent, according to a Turner spokesperson.
Boys 9-14 is the target demographic for an action series, the one advertisers crave. But how could this happen after being moved to the Saturday 9:30 AM death slot? Laughing

Quote:
Cartoon Network’s sister company Warner Bros. distributed the Clone Wars movie in 2008 and has been selling past episodes of Clone Wars on DVD and Blu-ray discs. That is another deal that is likely to move in the future to Disney for home video distribution.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.YodasNews.com Forum Index -> The Clone Wars - All Lines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: