www.YodasNews.com Forum Index www.YodasNews.com
All Star Wars chat, all the time! Toys, Movies and more!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Q&A Concerning The Clone Wars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.YodasNews.com Forum Index -> The Clone Wars - All Lines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aceface
Beware aceface

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caped Crusader wrote:
I think another theatrical The Clone Wars movie would boost toy sales a lot more than any of the live-action films in 3D.

Possibly, though the first one didn't exactly set the box office on fire. I suspect there was more interest in the toy line at that time mostly because of the fact that it was a new line.

Caped Crusader wrote:
KitFisto wrote:
In fact, in the Curto/Burns podcast that you and aceface recently recommended, DePriest stated that one of the contributing factors as to why Hasbro is not re-releasing CW44 Ahsoka is because she is just not showing up in the series like she used to.
I believe he specifically said she wasn't selling as well as she had in the past, but that certainly wasn't the case in my limited anecdotal experience last year. Even the repackaged original sculpt figure had no trouble selling through at retail...

Agree completely. I never saw the figure warming pegs. In fact, I never saw it at all!! I don't recall him saying it, but if DePriest said she wasn't showing up in the series, I'm inclined to think he was either a) watching the wrong one, or b) confusing the show with empty pegs at stores.

Quote:
and I don't think another release of the 2011 figure would have any trouble selling to both kids and collectors. It certainly couldn't perform worse than cold weather Plo Koon's 2012 encore did.

Ouch! Laughing Actually, I like that figure (even if I still see it on a weekly basis).
Caped Crusader
Elite Jedi Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceface wrote:
Possibly, though the first one didn't exactly set the box office on fire.
No, but it did very well with kids, kids who've now been watching that adventure continue for four years. And adjusted for inflation, it's only $4 million short of TPM in 3D's domestic haul.

aceface wrote:
I suspect there was more interest in the toy line at that time mostly because of the fact that it was a new line.
For collectors? Sure, but it's never been a collectors' line. Kids were eating it up. In November of last year, The Clone Wars was outselling TVC anywhere from 2.5-3 to 1 at Target (10K - 12K compared to 4K per week). TVC was certainly the newer of the two lines then. Kids/parents account for the overwhelming majority of action figure sales, so what's popular with kids will always outperform what's popular with collectors.

aceface wrote:
Agree completely. I never saw the figure warming pegs. In fact, I never saw it at all!! I don't recall him saying it, but if DePriest said she wasn't showing up in the series, I'm inclined to think he was either a) watching the wrong one, or b) confusing the show with empty pegs at stores.
That may have been misinterpreted.

DePriest: "Ahsoka's slowed down as a character from the initial launch. I mean, she was one of the greatest female characters I think has ever come out in any line, but there's been significant slowdown since then."

Curto: "Well, forgive me for this, but the first Ahsoka figure has been rereleased so many times, that I don't think people want that one anymore. If you wanted it, you've got it. The one in the new outfit -"

DePriest: "Well, yeah. From the kid perspective, they would look at it, not necessarily the fans. We think the fans have already gotten her. We're looking at it just from a kid engagement aspect, which is the main audience that we think about when we think about Clone Wars. Just to have Ahsoka out there is important, but we've found that kids are actually not choosing her like they choose other characters as much."

When he says she's slowed down as a character, I think he means in terms of how she sells at retail. Like I said, though, the original sculpt Ahsoka figure on the 2011 card never lasted long in stores around me. Maybe a week or two at most. I don't doubt their market research based on my anecdotal experience, but I definitely don't believe getting her back into an assortment would result in that figure clogging pegs in stores.

aceface wrote:
Ouch! Laughing Actually, I like that figure (even if I still see it on a weekly basis).
I like the cold weather Plo Koon. He just didn't need to be released again in the 2012 line, and I absolutely believe the 2011 Ahsoka would have performed better.
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caped Crusader wrote:
That may have been misinterpreted.

DePriest: "Ahsoka's slowed down as a character from the initial launch. I mean, she was one of the greatest female characters I think has ever come out in any line, but there's been significant slowdown since then."

Curto: "Well, forgive me for this, but the first Ahsoka figure has been rereleased so many times, that I don't think people want that one anymore. If you wanted it, you've got it. The one in the new outfit -"

I did misinterpret that. I listened to the podcast again this morning, specifically to hear that part again, and I realized that I had misinterpreted him. By using the term "character," instead of "figure," my mind went in a slightly different direction. Sorry about that.
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KitFisto wrote:
I did misinterpret that. I listened to the podcast again this morning, specifically to hear that part again, and I realized that I had misinterpreted him. By using the term "character," instead of "figure," my mind went in a slightly different direction. Sorry about that.
No need to apologize. I took it the same way you did at first before he elaborated a bit.
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caped Crusader wrote:
No need to apologize.

Wink

Caped Crusader wrote:
I don't expect Derryl DePriest to show his entire hand in a podcast interview, though, and I'm confident Hasbro plans to eventually get more use out of the tooling for that figure.

What I have come to realize is that a collector should typically take what Hasbro says with a grain of salt - and I mean that respectfully. Although they are nice enough to share their future plans with us, we have to keep in mind that the toy market fluctuates, and their business needs have to adapt to these fluctuations. So, just because they plan on making Krell, there is no guarantee that Krell will ever see the light of day. And the same goes for when they tell us they don't have plans for something. Just because they tell us that they currently have no plans to re-release CW44 Ahsoka, we shouldn't be surprised and confused if she shows up somewhere down the line. We need to give Hasbro the room they need to adapt and make changes.
KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will a figure of Krell see the light of day? Only time will tell. But he still remains staunchly at the top of my want list. And that's a hard staunch. Dare I say a rigid staunch? Would the phrase "steadfast staunch" be a redundancy? I think so.

I'm lighting a candle for a Krell figure tonight. At this point, I'll take one in the realistic line. I'm that desperate. May the gods bless my offering!

KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh look! Pawlus is going on about ratings again:

One of the more interesting stories to come out of Celebration (the convention, not the town) is that The Clone Wars will be a Saturday-morning cartoon for its next-- and maybe, maybe not final-- season. I hope this means more people tune in, because the ratings suck (and Hasbro knows the ratings suck too). The funny thing is in 2010, they confirmed there would be a season 5, and season 5 starts in a few weeks. In 2012, they made no mention of a season 6 (at least at the panels I sat in on) and there was a rumor walking around the show floor that the series' replacement (which is not Star Wars Detours was apparently on deck, whatever it is.
KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From SirStevesGuide (emphasis mine):

This September, the Critically Acclaimed Series from Lucasfilm Animation Returns for Season Five, while Seasons One and Two Enter Syndication Across the Nation.

Following an impressive fourth season full of surprises, the spectacular action and riveting story of Star Wars: The Clone Wars intensifies in Season Five on Cartoon Network at a new day and time. Starting September 29, 2012 at 9:30 am, the classic heroes and villains of the world famous Star Wars Saga continue their adventures as The Clone Wars moves to Cartoon Network’s action series Saturday mornings.

The shadow of the dark side falls upon Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season Five as the series moves closer to the grim events of Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith. The big-screen action, unforgettable characters, and rousing adventure of the Star Wars Saga continue, as Jedi heroes face a galaxy of foes. With unparalleled visuals, sound, action and adventure, Star Wars: The Clone Wars continues the cinematic saga with the equivalent of a short animated Star Wars movie each week. Season Five is filled with explosive action, exotic worlds, intriguing characters and shocking turns as several major players face their destinies as the galaxy plunges into darkness.

In addition to its bold new episodes, the celebrated stories of the series’ first two seasons will premiere in domestic syndication, marking its first appearance ever on U.S. broadcast television. Now, Star Wars: The Clone Wars will be available to a whole new audience, as well as provide an additional destination for its already loyal viewers to relive the amazing saga from its beginning. For a listing of participating stations, visit www.starwars.com as the September launch approaches.

The Season Four finale was the #1 watched telecast of the day versus all of television among boys 9-14, and #1 for its timeslot among boys 6-11.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/content.php/1115-Clone-Wars-Returns-for-5th-Season-at-a-New-Time-and-Enters-Syndication
ridge913
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KitFisto wrote:
Will a figure of Krell see the light of day? Only time will tell. But he still remains staunchly at the top of my want list. And that's a hard staunch. Dare I say a rigid staunch? Would the phrase "steadfast staunch" be a redundancy? I think so.

I'm lighting a candle for a Krell figure tonight. At this point, I'll take one in the realistic line. I'm that desperate. May the gods bless my offering!

I would also love to see this character made Smile
RPhBob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KitFisto wrote:
Will a figure of Krell see the light of day?

I would love to get a Krell figure too, he was a cool villain. I've always thought they should put him in a battle pack with a couple 501st clones... Our best bet at this point may be to dig up an old Dexter Jettser figure, throw on a spare Jedi robe, give him a couple light sabers and call it good.
KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Toy Fair, 2013:

Question: Regarding reduced articulation for Star Wars TCW 2012 line, will this trend continue into 2013 if TCW line continues? And will it continue into 2013.

ANSWER: If TCW characters are brought into the collector-focused line, they will be realistic and come super-articulated. Animated TCW figures are no longer being made. There will be no more The Clone Wars figures as you've known it the last 5 years.
RPhBob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am deeply saddened by this. This sucks.
KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPhBob wrote:
This sucks.

Yes, it does. The show is putting out some fabulous episodes right now, each one rich with action figure possibilities. But at least this announcement puts to rest any question concerning whether or not such-and-such a figure will be made. The answer is a universal "no" (at least not in the animated style). So, will we ever see that "tremendous" Krell figure? Hopefully, if it received any degree of tooling. But I seriously doubt it at this point.
KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Rebelscum's coverage of Toy Fair:

The Clone Wars line is not ending, but it will not be a separate line any longer. Future characters will be represented in a realistic sculpted style and not an animated style. We asked Hasbro if there was any chance of releasing a greatest hits Clone Wars wave, similarly to the Greatest Vintage Collection wave, but the outlook was not very optimistic.
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KitFisto wrote:
Future characters will be represented in a realistic sculpted style and not an animated style.
No interest in anything like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.YodasNews.com Forum Index -> The Clone Wars - All Lines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: