www.YodasNews.com Forum Index www.YodasNews.com
All Star Wars chat, all the time! Toys, Movies and more!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Q&A Concerning The Clone Wars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.YodasNews.com Forum Index -> The Clone Wars - All Lines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caped Crusader wrote:
KitFisto wrote:
Future characters will be represented in a realistic sculpted style and not an animated style.
No interest in anything like that.

I would be interested in any clone trooper from the show that they might sculpt in a realistic style. Other than that, nah. I was not impressed with the first three crossovers they offered; and the Mace Windu figure was equally unimpressive. But I was salivating for that Rex figure. I'd take Wolffe, Fox, Keeli, Fil, Sinker, Boost, Waxer, Boil, Hardcase, Kix, Dogma, Tup, Appo, Jesse and any other clone they wanted to make. I'd buy those in a heartbeat.
RPhBob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would buy just about any "named" clone from the show or any clone with uniquely painted or styled armor. Realistic Rex with swappable helmets is #1 on my wish list
DarkusLord
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now you guys are talking my language! If there is a call for more clones and less "unimpressive" characters, which have been done many times over, then I will be very happy indeed!
KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From JTA's Q&A from Toy Fair, 2013:

Question: Can we get a "greatest hits" of The Clone Wars line before it's done?

ANSWER: No. The animated TCW line is done. Only realistic versions of these characters with 5 points of articulation will be coming from here on out. (Editor's Note: I pleaded with Derryl to do this but he is convinved it would be suicide for the line, simply based on the ratings of the show. He and the people above him don't want to put any more eggs in their basket. It's a kid supported line and there are not enough collectors out there to support buying super-articulated versions of these characters. I basically told him that I beg to differ and I think Hasbro is making a huge mistake. But I don't have any power folks. Sorry. I tried.)
aceface
Beware aceface

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how much longer Derryl will keep his job. I haven't really bought any of his excuses over the past few years.
Caped Crusader
Elite Jedi Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceface wrote:
I wonder how much longer Derryl will keep his job. I haven't really bought any of his excuses over the past few years.
What's he supposed to do? Retailers are demanding lower prices, and they've been getting it from Hasbro's competition. There's just no way to make a profit selling super-articulated figures with new tooling at MSRPs of $4.99 or $5.99 anymore. After seeing Mattel deliver 5-POA Green Lantern and Batman figures the last couple of years, retailers - and by retailers, of course, I mean Walmart - want the same from Hasbro. The Clone Wars line isn't going away because Derryl DePriest wants to get rid of it. It's going away because retailers (again, specifically Walmart) bailed on it for toys with theatrical support in 2012. They completely overestimated demand that would be generated by a 3D release of The Phantom Menace, and The Clone Wars suffered for it. I can only imagine how badly its numbers tanked due to the limited selection offered in 2012, but bean counters don't look at that and say, "Well, we screwed up on this." They look at it and say, "These aren't selling."

Derryl has done a great job on the brands he manages within the restrictions placed upon him by suits who demand ROI. Not only that, but he's an action figure fan himself, and he's a very friendly, enthusiastic guy. I'm very much looking forward to having another chat when I see him again in April. Whatever issues any adult collector has with Hasbro, Derryl is one of the last people anyone should be blaming.
Beware aceface

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Derryl is one of the last people anyone should be blaming.

And I'm not. I'm simply wondering. Hasbro's problems can't be blamed on 3D release of The Phantom Menace. They've been around substantially longer than that. As have the excuses - not all of which have been factual. Now that Disney is in control of Star Wars, I can't help but wonder what influence they might have on the situation. Maybe little. Maybe nothing. Maybe not.
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceface wrote:
Hasbro's problems can't be blamed on 3D release of The Phantom Menace. They've been around substantially longer than that.
2012 was an especially down year, though. Whatever may have been fractured prior to last year, things just crumbled. That was pretty obviously due to exaggerated estimates on demand for Episode I toys. Stores were turning over The Clone Wars figures rapidly in 2011, and The Vintage Collection was performing pretty well. That all came to a grinding halt a year ago.

aceface wrote:
As have the excuses - not all of which have been factual.
When comments are going to be published on the web, a brand manager for a large corporation has to toe the company line. Corporate-speak, for better or worse, is part of the job. Derryl DePriest gets even more frustrated about a lot of this stuff than collectors do, as it's both his passion and his career. I know he tries to be as open as he can when doing these events, but sometimes the position requires spinning things a certain way. Having written my share of press releases and edited even more of them, that's not specific to Hasbro. It's just a reality of doing business.

And honestly, they don't owe us any explanations for anything. Whatever they share with us beyond, "You can buy this at this time," or, "We will not be releasing that," is gravy.

aceface wrote:
Now that Disney is in control of Star Wars, I can't help but wonder what influence they might have on the situation. Maybe little. Maybe nothing. Maybe not.
No other toy manufacturer does a better job, so their only option is to license the property to Mattel and watch them turn in a far worse performance. Disney suits aren't going to care if a few collectors are having trouble finding the latest wave of figures in Walmart. They're only going to look at the guaranteed dollar amount of the next contract.
Beware aceface

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caped Crusader wrote:
aceface wrote:
As have the excuses - not all of which have been factual.
When comments are going to be published on the web, a brand manager for a large corporation has to toe the company line. Corporate-speak, for better or worse, is part of the job.

No doubt. I take everything they say with a grain of salt and a wait and see attitude.

Quote:
And honestly, they don't owe us any explanations for anything.

True enough.

aceface wrote:
Now that Disney is in control of Star Wars, I can't help but wonder what influence they might have on the situation. Maybe little. Maybe nothing. Maybe not.
No other toy manufacturer does a better job, so their only option is to license the property to Mattel and watch them turn in a far worse performance.[/quote]
Or buy Hasbro - as rumors from a few months ago suggested. Wink
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceface wrote:
Or buy Hasbro - as rumors from a few months ago suggested. Wink
Rumors that were quickly debunked. I can't see Disney wanting to go into the manufacturing business when they can simply get paid millions upon millions of dollars to license out their brands and let someone else do the heavy lifting.
Beware aceface

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caped Crusader wrote:
Rumors that were quickly debunked.

True enough.

Quote:
I can't see Disney wanting to go into the manufacturing business...

I can. It's fair to say that merchandising is huge for them. If they owned Hasbro - or at least had a controlling interest - I would think that would get them more $ than what they currently get. That's not to say they are interested in such a thing, but only that it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they were.
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceface wrote:
If they owned Hasbro - or at least had a controlling interest - I would think that would get them more $ than what they currently get.
To be sure, but that would also come with more headaches that are currently someone else's problem.
Beware aceface

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caped Crusader wrote:
aceface wrote:
If they owned Hasbro - or at least had a controlling interest - I would think that would get them more $ than what they currently get.
To be sure, but that would also come with more headaches that are currently someone else's problem.

That depends on how active they are as owners. They could be very involved (as with Pixar) or not so much (ABC news). I'd guess that they'd be likely to involved and whatever headaches would come with it would be anticipated. But, again, I'm only guessing.
KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a Rebelscum forum post that I submitted in response to a proposal to start a petition for General Krell. I am re-posting here for comments and conversation:

Scummer wrote:
We seriously need to let Hasbro know we want a Krell figure.

Scummer wrote:
Agreed. How does everyone feel about a petition? I feel we could pull it off with enough steam.

I wrote:
You might get 50 votes, like Trench got. And what would that accomplish? Absolutely nothing. I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but the standard/super-articulated animated line is gone. Maybe not forever, but at least for the foreseeable future. Just take a look at the Target toy aisle today. It is packed with Spider-Man figures, Iron Man figures and Batman figures, all sporting 5 POA, and pricing out at $5.99. In fact, I bought one of those Spider-Man figures for my son today for his Valentine's gift. It was $5.99, and I think that it is a perfect figure for a little tike to play with. Sturdy, 5 POA, no small weapons to lose, and cheap. You see? I'm one of those parents that Hasbro is trying to target. This kind of toy is perfect for little kids. Maybe not older ones, who want more detail and more POA. But they're perfect for the young ones. It made me curious to see the Saga Legends figures hanging on the pegs for $5.99. I might have to get Anakin and Mace for my boy, too. Maybe a 501st and a 212th. But I will tell you, I'm not going to cross to the other side of the aisle and buy him an Aqua Droid or a Cad Bane - not for $4 more, and not when I can get him something decent for a lot less.

And that's exactly the point. If Saga Legends can draw in buckets of parent cash, just like I was drawn in today with that Spider-Man figure, then it might help subsidize all the obscure SA stuff that we adult collectors crave. And it might make it possible for Hasbro to offer up a figure like an animated Krell as a convention exclusive, or as an online exclusive, like Jocasta (I don't think that a figure like Krell has any probable chance at retail). Nobody wants Krell more than I do; I can relate to everyone's frustration. So, instead of wasting your time starting up a useless petition, why not go out and support the Legends line when it hits the aisle? Don't buy them for yourself, but get them as presents for your nephews, nieces, sons and daughters; or start a stash for Toys for Tots. They're going to be cheap, and that's exactly the point.
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceface wrote:
That depends on how active they are as owners. They could be very involved (as with Pixar) or not so much (ABC news). I'd guess that they'd be likely to involved and whatever headaches would come with it would be anticipated.
Even Hasbro is trying to diversify its business by becoming an entertainment company and licensing out its own IP, rather than relying strictly on toy manufacturing for its income. I can't see any successful media conglomerate wanting to get into the manufacturing game, not with the changing conditions in the countries where factories are located, the legal challenges, and the increasing competition traditional toys face from electronic devices. Current Disney shareholders will likely see a return on investment from the Lucasfilm acquisition within the next decade or so. A Hasbro buyout? They'd likely all be dead first. Even if Disney executives were at all interested, I can't imagine such a deal ever being approved.

KitFisto wrote:
Here is a Rebelscum forum post that I submitted in response to a proposal to start a petition for General Krell. I am re-posting here for comments and conversation:
Your comments were far too rational and grounded in reality for that crowd. They'll never manage to grasp your point.

Besides, how'd getting 10K signatures on a sail barge peition work out? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.YodasNews.com Forum Index -> The Clone Wars - All Lines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: