www.YodasNews.com Forum Index www.YodasNews.com
All Star Wars chat, all the time! Toys, Movies and more!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Q&A Concerning The Clone Wars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.YodasNews.com Forum Index -> The Clone Wars - All Lines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caped Crusader wrote:
Your comments were far too rational and grounded in reality for that crowd. They'll never manage to grasp your point.

Besides, how'd getting 10K signatures on a sail barge peition work out? Laughing

Razz

Here's a little more of the conversation that followed (and I threw in one of your points, CC):

Scummer wrote:
Who cares if CB is $4 more? No child should be deprived of a Cad Bane action figure.

I wrote:
I know you're joking around. But seriously, you're what? 15? 16? I'm 40, with a family to support. I can guarantee you that when I am shopping for toys to buy for my kids, I am looking very closely at the price tag of each item. And I can easily assume that thousands of other parents are doing exactly the same thing every day. Quit wasting your time starting up useless petitions; and, instead, buy up a few Mission Series packs when they come out in August. Then dump them in the Toys for Tots bin when December rolls around. That will go a lot further toward getting a Krell figure made than any Change.org crap you can send over to Hasbro.

Moderator wrote:
A petition wouldnt do any harm - so more power to whoever wants to start one. Personally, I think its best to contact Hasbro directly. 100 emails will make a bigger impact than 100 "signatures" on a petition. (I know far more people want a Krell, I'm just using that as an example) I'm interested in any version of Krell - animated or realistic, SA or little to no articulation - it doesnt matter to me, its all about the character - not how poseable they are, when it comes to my collecting pattern. My best advice - ignore the naysayers and support whatever you are passionate about. The same goes for what you collect - buy what you're interested in.

I wrote:
Kwinn actually asked us what we thought about a petition, and I answered honestly. I wouldn't have said anything if he hadn't of asked. Not sure why that makes you classify me as a "naysayer." Petitions are pretty useless; and I think our efforts are better served by trying to support the Star Wars lines that Hasbro is actually producing. How well did that Trench petition work out? Hmm? Or, what about the petition for the Sail Barge, which has reached something like 27% of its goal? Impressive, no? On top of that, here is what Hasbro recently said about making a Sail Barge:

[Hasbro is] not working on this, nor will it be something they can consider in the future. It would cost more money than than average collector has.

I agree with some of you that a petition would do no harm. But that's hardly the point of a petition, right? It's supposed to help; it's supposed to make a difference. But starting a petition to get an obscure figure made in a line that has already been cancelled is just a waste of time. If you feel better wasting your time this way, then more power to you. But these petitions have proven to be quite useless. That's why I think we should better use our resources to support the Star Wars lines that Hasbro is producing, and use things like the Fan's Choice polls to let Hasbro know what we would like to see.
Caped Crusader
Elite Jedi Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some things I learned this weekend talking to current and former Hasbro employees:

1) The Clone Wars line being dropped this year had nothing to do with the series not returning for another season. Its sales tanked last year, and that was the only reason the 2013 stuff was canceled.

2) The Krell figure made use of ball-and-socket joints to give his arms proper articulation while saving on tooling costs. Unlikely that it will ever be released, but it's not impossible.

3) Six or more The Clone Wars figures were fully sculpted but never tooled, included a TCW Gamorrean Guard. Sad

Last edited by Caped Crusader on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
RPhBob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Items 2 and 3 are almost too painful to read. I really am sad to see this line go.
KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caped Crusader wrote:
Some things I learned this weekend talking to current and former Hasbro employees:

1) The Clone Wars line being dropped this year had nothing to do with the series not returning for another season. Its sales tanked last year, and that was the only reason the 2013 stuff was canceled.

From my relatively myopic viewpoint, I can only blame Hasbro for this. I can't remember who wrote it, but I think it hits the nail on the head: Hasbro simply "phoned in" The Clone Wars line for 2012. No Ahsoka in her main outfit; no armored Savage (except in a $20 Battle Pack with no lightsaber); Snow Plo; shirtless Savage; the first Cad Bane; an emphasis on repacks/repaints (e.g., Mace Windu, Chewbacca, Yoda, Super Battle Droid) and a de-emphasis on the kind of character selection that would keep collector dollars rolling in. Let's face it: the 2012 line was BORING - for kids and for collectors. Hasbro droned on and on about how kids don't care about background characters, yet the line tanked because there really wasn't much of anything to buy. Funny how that all worked out. Now don't get me wrong: I'm a big fan of Hasbro and of their products. But I think they really screwed the pooch with this line last year. And it makes me sad.

Caped Crusader wrote:
2) The Krell figure made use of ball-and-socket joints to give his arms proper articulation while saving on tooling costs. Unlikely that it will ever be released, but it's not impossible.

I've given up hope to ever see it released, but I would still be as happy as a pig in mud if Hasbro ever found a way to get it out. As I've said before: release it as a convention exclusive, or as an online exclusive (like Jocasta) for $30 and I will happily buy two of them.
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KitFisto wrote:
From my relatively myopic viewpoint, I can only blame Hasbro for this. I can't remember who wrote it, but I think it hits the nail on the head: Hasbro simply "phoned in" The Clone Wars line for 2012. No Ahsoka in her main outfit; no armored Savage (except in a $20 Battle Pack with no lightsaber); Snow Plo; shirtless Savage; the first Cad Bane; an emphasis on repacks/repaints (e.g., Mace Windu, Chewbacca, Yoda, Super Battle Droid) and a de-emphasis on the kind of character selection that would keep collector dollars rolling in. Let's face it: the 2012 line was BORING - for kids and for collectors. Hasbro droned on and on about how kids don't care about background characters, yet the line tanked because there really wasn't much of anything to buy. Funny how that all worked out. Now don't get me wrong: I'm a big fan of Hasbro and of their products. But I think they really screwed the pooch with this line last year. And it makes me sad.
The blame is shared between Hasbro and retailers. Hasbro pitched Episode I toys hard, and retailers ordered that heavily while skimping on The Clone Wars with only a few releases, most of which were previously (and recently) available figures. When the 2012 repack of the first Cad Bane was first in stores at full price, I picked up three of the CW42 Cad Bane figures for $2 or $3 each for Toys For Tots. TCW was kicking ass in the action figure aisle in 2011, and then the wheels came off in 2012.
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caped Crusader wrote:
Hasbro pitched Episode I toys hard, and retailers ordered that heavily while skimping on The Clone Wars with only a few releases, most of which were previously (and recently) available figures.

Well, that still makes me point the finger at Hasbro, for the most part. Just as you point out above: Hasbro did very little to make retailers interested in the 2012 line-up for The Clone Wars, while heavily trumpeting all of their Episode 1 product. And I understand why they did it. There was going to be a Star Wars movie in theaters, and they wanted to cash in on that excitement by having their product in stores to support it. But I don't think that there was tons of collective excitement to see The Phantom Menace in the theater again, even if it was in 3D (which is still a disincentive for me). Many fans had recently purchased the BD release of that film, so there was sufficient market presence without a theatrical offering. And let's face it: a lot of fans don't care for that film (I happen to love it). Hasbro has already admitted that they over-anticipated the demand for TPM product, and that this was the direct cause of all of the distribution backlog throughout the year. Retailers may be fickle; but Hasbro put all of their eggs in the TPM basket, and I don't think it paid off for them. The Clone Wars line (i.e., one of their best-selling lines in 2011) was just collateral damage.
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KitFisto wrote:
Well, that still makes me point the finger at Hasbro, for the most part. Just as you point out above: Hasbro did very little to make retailers interested in the 2012 line-up for The Clone Wars, while heavily trumpeting all of their Episode 1 product.
We really don't know how much they pitched for The Clone Wars for 2012. There easily could have been a large presentation of product we'll never see now, only to have retailers pass on most of it due to fears of oversaturation.

KitFisto wrote:
But I don't think that there was tons of collective excitement to see The Phantom Menace in the theater again, even if it was in 3D (which is still a disincentive for me).
Agreed.
Beware aceface

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Caped Crusader wrote:
KitFisto wrote:
But I don't think that there was tons of collective excitement to see The Phantom Menace in the theater again, even if it was in 3D (which is still a disincentive for me).
Agreed.

I liked it. Hated the glasses. HATED THEM!! But the 3D was quite effective and did add depth to the picture. I'd say the same about the recent Jurassic Park conversion as well. Both of those titles used the 3D to add depth rather than having things come out at you.
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceface wrote:
I liked it. Hated the glasses. HATED THEM!! But the 3D was quite effective and did add depth to the picture. I'd say the same about the recent Jurassic Park conversion as well. Both of those titles used the 3D to add depth rather than having things come out at you.
I was agreeing more with the notion that there was not a ton of collective excitement for its release. I don't care for the glasses at all, either, but I've enjoyed the 3D presentation of couple of recent movies. More often than not, I'll go with the 2D screening. I loved seeing G.I. JOE: Retaliation in IMAX 3D, though, and that experience will likely make me more open to that format in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.YodasNews.com Forum Index -> The Clone Wars - All Lines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: