www.YodasNews.com Forum Index www.YodasNews.com
All Star Wars chat, all the time! Toys, Movies and more!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your life without the clone wars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.YodasNews.com Forum Index -> The Clone Wars - All Lines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkusLord
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Your life without the clone wars Reply with quote

This is an interesting topic that I've been thinking about lately. How would your life/star wars interest be without the clone wars and the product/toys/merchandise that came with it?

For me, I remember going to see the clone wars in 2008 when it came out. i remember it fondly.. I was eleven at the time and lost a tooth during the movie due to a chewy sour strip lol. (some of you may not know that I am way younger than you) I believe I got the captain rex toy then and that was all until my interest in star wars was re-sparked in 2010. During Christmas time I gained interest in star wars and asked for the huge at-at toys. It amazed me so, I never thought that was possible! of course now I know better! After that the clone wars hooked me on clones and I collected from there, getting every one I could afford, and still trying to get the ones I missed today. So basically if it wasn't for the clone wars, I would have never gotten hooked back onto star wars.

Anyone else wish to share?
Caped Crusader
Elite Jedi Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped buying STAR WARS toys in the spring of 2003. There were a few exceptions over the years. I bought a dozen or so Revenge of the Sith figures and two or three STAR WARS Shop exclusives. When The Clone Wars debuted in 2008, the only toys I bought were the Target and Walmart exclusives, Commander Fox and the 501st Legion Clone Trooper. I kept those carded, and I eventually bought the Walmart-exclusive "Rookies" two-packs (Cody & Echo and Rex & Fives) to keep carded. My niece got hooked on TCW immediately, though, so I bought a lot of them for her from the very beginning.

As I kept buying them for her, they kept growing on me, and I finally started collecting the line for myself in January of 2011. I kept up with most of the new releases and went back, catching up on a lot of what I'd missed during the first couple of years. For me, The Clone Wars was what brought me back to being an active collector vs. an occasional, casual buyer of something here or there. Now that the line - and more importantly, the series - has ended, I'm back to where I was from 2003 - 2010. I'm sure I'll buy a couple of things when Episode VII is released in 2015, but I have more than enough "realistic" STAR WARS stuff. I could keep going for years with new animated-style releases, but I just don't have much desire for more movie-based toys.

I have plenty of other toys to collect, though, so it's not like much will be changing for me in terms of the hobby. I'll be spending less money, I suppose. Laughing
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little has changed for me since The Clone Wars series has ended, since Hasbro has not released much of anything to collect either way. I have been actively collecting Star Wars figures since 1997, when I saw an endcap at my local Albertson's stuffed with the orange-carded POTF2 figures. I was just going to get a few, for "old-time's sake." Well, that started it. I have been collecting consistently ever since.

When The Clone Wars movie came out in 2008, I started collecting the figures, alongside all of the realistic figures that I had been collecting since that day in the grocery store. And I would still be collecting them right now if Hasbro hadn't cancelled the line. So, I'll simply continue to collect the realistic figures...when Hasbro sees fit to release them, of course. For me, The Clone Wars was not as essential for collecting as it has been for some. As a child, I was weaned on the original trilogy, and I relished every prequel release. The Clone Wars was just another installment (albeit, non-canonical) in that space odyssey which has enraptured me ever since I saw the first film back in 1977. So, with its demise, I'll simply go back to my first love: the films.
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KitFisto wrote:
So, with its demise, I'll simply go back to my first love: the films.
I'm sure I'll do a little of that when new characters are introduced, but more figures from the first six movies just don't do it for me. I'm sure there will be exceptions here and there, figures that are just too good to pass up, but they'll be few and far between. For example, the Admiral Ackbar you picked up for me is the only TVC figure I own.

Animated-style versions of OT characters are what I'd really love to buy, but that's the opposite of the direction the toys are taking.
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caped Crusader wrote:
...but more figures from the first six movies just don't do it for me.

I'm still in the market for "definitive" versions of core characters, and any and all backgrounders. I can't foresee myself getting tired of those for quite some time.

Caped Crusader wrote:
Animated-style versions of OT characters are what I'd really love to buy, but that's the opposite of the direction the toys are taking.

Excellent! I'd probably - and happily - buy one of each. But I have no doubt that you are correct in that Hasbro has no interest in pursuing any kind of animated sculpting from this point forward.
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KitFisto wrote:
I'm still in the market for "definitive" versions of core characters, and any and all backgrounders. I can't foresee myself getting tired of those for quite some time.
I was satisfied after Power of the Jedi and 2003 Saga.

KitFisto wrote:
Excellent! I'd probably - and happily - buy one of each. But I have no doubt that you are correct in that Hasbro has no interest in pursuing any kind of animated sculpting from this point forward.
Yeah, not until there's a new STAR WARS cartoon on the air, which I'm sure is at least two or (more likely) three years away from happening. Even then, I don't ever expect to see animated-style OT characters unless those characters appear in an animated series.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember going to midnight madness at TRU for the clone war release. And picking up one of each figure clone wars and non, also picking up the BMF Falcon, and AT-TE. Since then went thru a divorce and sold off much of my collection. I love Star Wars but just can't get back into it. The fact that it's the same figures over and over, and trying to find them has become a chore. I'm sure when the black line comes out I'll pick up a few and then when the new movies hit. The clone wars was fun but will always be an OT guy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.YodasNews.com Forum Index -> The Clone Wars - All Lines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: