www.YodasNews.com Forum Index www.YodasNews.com
All Star Wars chat, all the time! Toys, Movies and more!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clone Wars Purchases
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.YodasNews.com Forum Index -> The Clone Wars - All Lines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ridge913
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caped Crusader wrote:
Sunstorm wrote:
In Australia if you said that to a stranger or someone's wife, sister or girlfriend you'd be sitting on the ground.
Laughing

The only thing more absurd than an Internet Tough Guy is an Internet Tough Guy who insists his Internet Toughness is more credible because he's Australian.

lol that is too funny, and I can only 100% agree with you on this issue. People can be ridiculous on the forums or the internet for that matter
Caped Crusader
Elite Jedi Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KitFisto wrote:
I told my wife the whole story. She laughed at the joke, and said she was so sick of people's internet sensitivity.
You know, I could see people having an issue if the comment was about the other forum member. It wasn't, though. The same comment could have been directed at anyone, regardless of gender, who was actively advocating for more female characters in the line. It had absolutely nothing to do with her. You didn't say, "Show us your cans, sweetheart!" That would have been inappropriate, and I'd have told you as much. It was a harmless play on words that was in no way demeaning toward anyone.

And then there's the irony to which the scum are utterly oblivious. By taking it upon themselves to assume the role of protector and insisting that certain conversation is off-limits around females, those few dorky guys are perpetuating gender stereotypes and engaging in the most basic form of patriarchal misogyny. Simpletons.

aceface wrote:
I'm suddenly reminded of an internet tongue-lashing I received from one "AussieLegend" on wikipedia after I took the time to edit an article. Needless to say, I won't bother taking the time to contribute to that site any more.
Wikipedia in general is a pet peeve of mine. An "encyclopedia" that can be edited by anyone, no verifiable knowledge of the subject matter or modest skill with the written word necessary, is worthless. The basic premise for "sourcing" data is, "If it's on the internet, it must be true." If you want to quickly find out what year an album was released or who wrote a particular book, it's fine. But as a source for worthwhile, substantial information? It's a joke.

ridge913 wrote:
lol that is too funny, and I can only 100% agree with you on this issue. People can be ridiculous on the forums or the internet for that matter

Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caped Crusader wrote:
And then there's the irony to which the scum are utterly oblivious. By taking it upon themselves to assume the role of protector and insisting that certain conversation is off-limits around females, those few dorky guys are perpetuating gender stereotypes and engaging in the most basic form of patriarchal misogyny. Simpletons.

That's a great point.

As I wrote in a previous post, I chose to stay out of the argument. I knew that my comment was not sexist, since it, in no way that I could tell, represented a denigration of a particular gender. Unlike the claims of some of the forum members there, I am not accustomed to filtering my communication based on the gender of my audience.

I also tried to use the argument as a sociological study (armchair version). What socialization patterns could be detected by the various responses? The guy from Australia was really concerned about chivalry - specifically, Australian expressions of chivalry. It made me wonder if his fellow citizens would agree with his particular interpretation of their cultural mores. And the young woman to whom the comment was directed interpreted it as a sexual advance, calling me "gross," "perverted" and drawing attention to the disparity in our age. Her comment was the most surprising to me; and it made me wonder if we have raised a generation of young women to be highly sensitive to this issue. That could be a good thing. Yet, I got the impression that she lacked the maturity and experience required to appropriately identify it. And then there was the guy who tried to defend me - sort of. Although he agreed my comment was sexist, and I that I lacked respect for other people, he felt as though the offended members had taken their reaction a little too far. He struck me as sort of a "bandwagon" type, but though not the type who would fully join the lynch mob. I really doubted that he would actually think that my comment was sexist if that accusation hadn't already been thrown out there. Finally, there was the guy who stood up for me. He demanded that the accusers defend their claims, which they never bothered to do. I really couldn't derive any socialization patterns from him. Haha!

All in all, I'm kinda disappointed that the argument has fizzled out, because it was fun to watch. Very Happy

On another note, I can share another anecdotal experience I had with kids and their character preferences when it comes to The Clone Wars figures. I was in the toy aisle at Target yesterday, and I noticed that the store had Saesee Tiin, shirtless Savage Opress, Commander Jet, and the usual gathering of carry-forward figures. The kid in front of me passed on all the collector-friendly figures, and selected Yoda and Mace Windu. Hmmm...Hasbro and their pesky sales data. Wink
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KitFisto wrote:
Hmmm...Hasbro and their pesky sales data. Wink
Laughing
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Riot Control Clone Trooper at TRU today. I wonder if anyone on these forums might want this one (cough, cough).
RPhBob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of anyone myself... Wink
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of 50% off clearance items at my nearest Walmart store. I picked up Ahsoka's Jedi Starfighter for $12.50 and two ARF Troopers for $3 and change each. I also grabbed the Ahsoka/Plo-Koon DVD pack, R7-A7, Embo, Hondo Ohnaka, and Aurra Sing for the youngling.
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get a second Aqua Droid for my collection for $3.90. I was hoping to run across the Republic cannon, but no dice!
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrapped up 2011 with a remote control Republic Fighter Tank ($21.40) and an R4-P17 ($3.90) for me, as well as a Defend Kamino battle pack ($9.90) for the youngling.
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caped Crusader wrote:
...as well as a Defend Kamino battle pack ($9.90) for the youngling.

That one has been really rare in my neck of the woods. But the only figure that I wanted out of it was Commander Blitz, which I got off of eBay for about $20, including shipping. And then I saw the pack at Walmart the other day for about $10. Such is the life of a collector. Wink
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely. It's been the least-available pack here, too, so I thought I should grab it for her when I saw it for so cheap.

Playing with the tank in the house isn't working out too well.
Moderator/Staff
Moderator/Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caped Crusader wrote:

Playing with the tank in the house isn't working out too well.

No longer mint, is it? Wink
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST-321 wrote:
No longer mint, is it? Wink

It now has custom-made "battle damage."
KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using my giftcards, I got the Republic Cannon for $24.99. The store I went to still had the Tauntaun and Landspeeder exclusives marked down to $17.48. I might be tempted to get the Landspeeder if it goes down to $12.48 (I've read reports that some stores are marking it that low). There was also one Hidden Enemy Battle Pack on the shelves, but it was still marked at $24.99; and the only thing I want from that pack is the droid fingers. So I passed on it.
Caped Crusader

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a good deal on a loose Commander Fox on eBay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.YodasNews.com Forum Index -> The Clone Wars - All Lines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 51 of 59

Jump to: