www.YodasNews.com Forum Index www.YodasNews.com
All Star Wars chat, all the time! Toys, Movies and more!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is with all these figures?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.YodasNews.com Forum Index -> The Clone Wars - All Lines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkusLord
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: What is with all these figures? Reply with quote

Ok, so recently I've been getting alot of figures that have wrong parts (such as two right legs) on them. Are these common or do I just have a curse?
(sorry my camera is crappy, and the flash wouldn't go on for some reason, so the pics might be a bit dark, but you can see what i want you to see still Wink )

I have a boil with a backwards leg (actually two right legs):

I also have a clone trooper with space gear that has two left feet:

Any one else have this problem?
KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're getting these figures loose off of eBay, from Asian sellers, then what you are experiencing is not that uncommon. There are some sellers (like Tunghori) who allegedly sell factory rejects. Sometimes you'll get good figures, other times you'll get figures with errors. It's a crapshoot with them.
DarkusLord
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I see, yeah the boil I got from ebay, the clone trooper with space gear was actually sealed in package from the states... guess I just got unlucky Confused
Caped Crusader
Elite Jedi Council Member
Elite Jedi Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not terribly common with packaged figures, I've had a couple that didn't come with all the right pieces. I don't think I've bought anything from The Clone Wars that was assembled incorrectly; the closest would be the missing handle on my Riot Control Trooper's shield. I've had that happen with other lines, though. Some of my TCW figures from Asia definitely had similar issues, but I expected that.
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Just reviving this topic, for a new discussion, rather than retaking pictures of "Boil" (which is actually waxer) and making a new thread*

So concerning the Waxer pictured above. As much as I love clones, two right legs is just unacceptable. I have been toying with the thought of getting another clone, and swapping the upper thigh and foot peices to Waxer. Is this a manageable task, or is it going to be a chore and it would be easier to just buy a new one? I've never done any sort of body part switching/customs before, so this will be new to me.

Of course, I'll have to find the willpower to take apart a perfectly good clone first. Wink
DarkusLord
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I've been doing some research and it seems I should boil waxer (unintentionally, that turned out to be quite the pun) and simply pull his leg off, and then mix and match from there.

Is it really this simple? Boiling one of my figures will most likely give me a heart attack, but if it works it'll be worth it. If anyone has done this or knows something, please do let me know!
KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkusLord wrote:
So, I've been doing some research and it seems I should boil waxer (unintentionally, that turned out to be quite the pun) and simply pull his leg off, and then mix and match from there.

Is it really this simple? Boiling one of my figures will most likely give me a heart attack, but if it works it'll be worth it. If anyone has done this or knows something, please do let me know!

I never boil figures, since one may accidentally burn oneself. Instead, I use my wife's hair dryer. After about three or four minutes, the plastic gets real soft and malleable, perfect for popping an arm and/or a leg off. If I remember correctly, I used this method when I did some "surgery" on those Boil and Waxer figures, since the armor stripes on the arms are incorrect on one of the figures. I think the hair dryer method is a lot easier, requires less clean-up, and achieves the same result as boiling.
DarkusLord
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, very good advice. Using a hair dryer would make me fee lalot more comfortable.

When you remove the part you've been heating, is it generally a clean pull, or do you have to wiggle it? Also, how much force do you need to use when pulling it out and how quickly? I don't want to accidently break or jam the new leg.

Also, when putting the new leg in, will it sit snug or do you have to clamp it in place until it cools?

EDIT: I cut the "gun pockets" off of him and he looks great without them. I've reached a dead end in this custom endeavor, however. I can't switch out the leg correctly because, having two right legs, the knee-ankle armor piece and its design is backwards. Thus, without another waxer to supply the knee-ankle piece, the transplant can't be done. Having another waxer would defeat the purpose of the transplant anyways. Guess I'll be shelling out $20 to get him later on Sad
KitFisto
Global Forum Moderator
Global Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkusLord wrote:
When you remove the part you've been heating, is it generally a clean pull, or do you have to wiggle it? Also, how much force do you need to use when pulling it out and how quickly? I don't want to accidently break or jam the new leg.

My experience is that it takes a pretty hefty pull to get the pieces apart. Even though the plastic gets really malleable when warmed up, they're still pretty tightly put together. So, it has always taken me quite a bit of force to pull them apart. Yet, to date, I have never broken a piece.

DarkusLord wrote:
Also, when putting the new leg in, will it sit snug or do you have to clamp it in place until it cools?

Don't know about legs, since I've never taken those off. But I've never had to use clamps. Even when fairly warm, the plastic pieces will fit back together with some effort. I have only done work on heads and arms. Most of the time, I have never had a problem with the figures once they have been reassembled, and cooled off. But, one figure I did arm-work on ended up having a really loose left arm - like, hold the figure parallel to the floor, and the arm would drop to a perpendicular position. Kinda ruined that one for me.
DarkusLord
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first attempt at pulling off his leg produced.. less than desirable results. I broke him. Not completely, but the plastic between his leg and the ball that holds it in is half ways snapped. I heated, pulled with all my might, heated again, twisted and pulled. Nothing. It was a good experiment I suppose.
His leg is all loosy goosy now, but that's fine. He's bantha fodder anyhow.
Working on a painted custom soon, nothing too difficult. Hopefully it turns out Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.YodasNews.com Forum Index -> The Clone Wars - All Lines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: