www.YodasNews.com Forum Index www.YodasNews.com
All Star Wars chat, all the time! Toys, Movies and more!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greedo, Kit Fisto, Boba Fett, Stormtrooper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.YodasNews.com Forum Index -> Star Wars Black Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aceface
Beware aceface

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Greedo, Kit Fisto, Boba Fett, Stormtrooper Reply with quote

Last month, as a gift to myself, I picked up Star Wars: The Ultimate Action Figure Collection. As I was reading it, the thought occurred to me that this year, 2015, is the twenty-year anniversary of the modern line (resurrected in 1995). That in itself gave me pause, but then I started to think back over the line. I thought it might be fun to resurrect the classic (and utterly random) "Greedo, Kit Fisto, Boba Fett, Stormtrooper" thread from the artoosnews days and list our favorite figures from the modern lines.

I found that that when I was compiling my list, major characters like Darth Vader, Luke, Leia, Han, Chewy, and 3PO just didn’t stand out to me. I suspect there have simply been too many of them (good, bad, and otherwise) for me to settle on any one of them. Instead, I came up with the following:

THE BEST
(my personal favorites)

Bossk (2007, TSC, page 57); honorable mentions: Boba Fett (white concept, 2007 TAC, page 53), Boba Fett (2011 TVC, page 55), and Zuckuss (formerly 4-LOM, 2010, TVC, page 351)
Hasbro has always done pretty well with Bossk in my opinion and this is the best of the bunch. Bossk was the first mail-a-way figure I got as a kid. Zuckass (4-LOM at the time) may have been the second. There have been a number of Fetts released over the years, but these two white versions stand out in my mind.

Elllorrs Modak (2001, POTJ, page 149); honorable mentions: Zutton (aka red/small Snaggletooth) (2001, POTJ, page 313), Feltipern Trevagg (2005, OTC, page 151), Ponda Baba (aka Walrus Man) (2011, TVC, page 338), & Hrchek Kal Fas (2009, LC Red, page 179)
This was one of my favorite cantina aliens that was never represented in the vintage line. In fact, Cad Bane and Neimoidians aside, I think he was only ever released in the Power Of The Jedi line. A simple figure, but a fantastic one in my book. He’s also the first one I thought of for this list. Feltipern Trevagg and Hrchek Kal Fas are two other examples of cantina aliens I like that were never a part of the vintage line. And red snaggletooth and walrusman were two of my favorite figures when I was young. To this day, I have still never found the 2011 Walrusman.

Ephant Mon (2002, SWS, page 150); honorable mentions: Pote Snitkin (1998, POTF2, page 267), Hermi Odle (Baragwin) (2007, TAC, page 177), and J’Quille (2004, page 185)
That’s a big figure! Well sculpted and detailed. And much coveted as I recall. Despite this, I ran across him more than a few times back during his run. Pote, Hermi, and J’Quille are also nice, large sculpts, but Ephant Mon remains the biggest and the best. Not counting Jabba the Hutt of course.

FX-7 (2010, Hoth Rebels 3-pack, page 153)
I was really impressed with the 2001 Power Of The Jedi version, but this re-release has an even nicer paint job.

Jawa (1999, POTF2 with GNK droid, page 93); honorable mentions: all the other Jawas
I’m hugely fond of the jawas. “Disgusting creatures” they may be, but I adore them.

R4-M9 (2002, POTJ, page 290); honorable mention: any other astromech with a retractable center leg
It was tempting for me to include one of the many versions of R2-D2 or one of the other (mostly) fantastic astromechs released over the years. R4-M9 stands out in my mind as it was one of the first with a retractable center leg and it looks great. It’s also one of my favorite droids from the original film (despite only appearing in a few brief shots).

Stormtrooper (2004, OTC Vintage, page 319); honorable mentions: all other super-articulated troopers.
There have been a lot of stormtroopers and even more clone troopers, but this one, with all its articulation, remains the definitive one for me.

THE WORST
(my least favorites)

Boss Nass (2000, POTJ, page 56)
The Power Of The Jedi line is one of my favorites and this figure sure looks great within it. However, is is basically a chess piece. Not much play value here.

Djas Puhr (2002, SWS, page 145)
Jasper (as I call him), is not a terrible figure, but earns a place on this list because my figure of him is far too loose at his waist. You can spin either half of his body with the flick of a finger!

The POTF “he-man” figures
Ridiculous. I was well aware of these when they came out, but they didn't make me want to start collecting. The lone exception was the Kellogg's mail-a-away Han Solo in Stormtrooper disguise - which was my first figure of the modern era. I think I got that one in early '96. When the sculpts settled down around the time of the '97 theatrical re-releases, that's when I took the plunge and began collecting in earnest.

R5-D4 (with concealed photon missile launcher) (1996, POTF2, page 292)
An abomination. Proof that a decent sculpt (compared with the '95 figures) can still conceal a lame idea.

Rebel Fleet Trooper (1997, POTF2, page 295)
An unnecessary return to the ridiculous 1995 “He-Man” look.

Disney's Star Tours figures
Oh f*** me.

Yoda (2008, The Clone Wars, page 349)
Make it stop.
ST-321
Moderator/Staff
Moderator/Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Greedo, Kit Fisto, Boba Fett, Stormtrooper Reply with quote

aceface wrote:
Last month, as a gift to myself, I picked up Star Wars: The Ultimate Action Figure Collection.

Wow, I didn't even know that this was a thing.

Cool lists. I'd have a hard time coming up with ones of my own, maybe I need the book to help.
Beware aceface

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Greedo, Kit Fisto, Boba Fett, Stormtrooper Reply with quote

ST-321 wrote:
I'd have a hard time coming up with ones of my own, maybe I need the book to help.

I definitely did. There were many figures that were not at the forefront of my mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.YodasNews.com Forum Index -> Star Wars Black Series All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: